Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Trail Runner magazine and 2011 week 2

For Christmas I got a two year subscription to Trail Runner magazine. It's an American magazine with a definite lean towards ultra running. All the articles on races and routes have a very heavy American bias (though in the latest issue there is a photo of the Dolomites) so are perhaps as not as relevant to me as they could be, but the writing is inspiring and the photos are excellent and it makes a good read. And there are a lot of pictures of shoes. The latest issue has an article on winter training which advocates lots of hill running. The magazine has a website with a few of the articles on it, including a whole section on nutrition which seems to be a hot topic at the moment. There are also some free digital editions to look at.

I found it quite useful to write about my first week of training so thought I'd share what I did in week 2 (last week) as well:

Long run: I didn't do either a 4+ hr run or consecutive day 2+ hr runs so didn't really tick this box in week 2. That said, my hilly run was quite long...

Hilly run: rather than spend Friday evening on the sofa watching telly with my wife and a cold beer, I ran from the house to Bridge of Allan, met up with a friend from work and we both ran up Dumyat, and then I had to run home again (via Sainsburys garage for a bottle of coke). All in it was 17 miles with about 500m ascent so that'll do. Dumyat is a prominent wee rocky hill on the end of the Ochils just north of Stirling, and it has a great path to the summit which makes a good run up and down from Bridge of Allan, Stirling University or Causewayhead. There's a short, sharp hill race up it in May each year.


Intervals: I did a hilly fartlek through the snow on Kinnoul Hill in Perth one lunchtime, which was almost enjoyable.

Cross-training: 40 minutes on a rowing machine watching Bruce Parry ride a reindeer.

There were a couple of other wee runs as well so I managed 33 miles in the week. I have a bit of arthritis in my big toe, and after the 17 mile run on Friday night it was very sore, I think due to too much tarmac and me wearing my trainers sans sorbothane. It worries me a bit since I have had all sorts of compensation injuries in the past, some of which have lasted for ages, so for the time being I am going to concentrate on running trails and hills and not worry about recording big mileages.

Week 3 is going well so far, including one run that was a bit of a revelation.

3 comments:

  1. did your wife drink your beer then whilst you were out??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and she ate all the nachos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali

    Meikle bin sounds good got Half way up a couple of weeks ago and lost the trail in the snow,Sounds like a plan though Do you have any time through the week, or is it weekends?

    ReplyDelete